Adulting is just crazy. You might not realize what photo I.D.s are for now, there will come a time when you have to transact alone and you may need a valid photo I.D. I specifically wanted to apply for a UMID (Unified Multipurpose I.D. Card) card for two main reasons: (1) It is a primary identification card here in the Philippines and (2) it never expires. A lot of you are probably aware but for the benefit of those who don't, this card is literally a unified single card that you can use for any SSS, PAG-IBIG, GSIS and Philhealth transactions.
So basically, here's what you need:
- UMID Application form which you may need to request at the branch upon arrival or you may also download online here.
- Bring one (1) primary valid I.D.--Passport, Driver’s License, PRC Card or Seaman’s Book (Seafarer’s Identification and Record Book. In the absence of these, bring any two (2) secondary I.D.s. For the list, you may click here.
- Black-inked ballpen
Here's what exactly tranpired:
- I arrived there at least an hour before the end of the working hours. This might be a good thing to do because there are less people (or probably it's just on the branch where I applied) so I ended the process quickly.
- I got an application form from the information booth and a queue number. I filled out all necessary information in the waiting area.
- By the time the verification personnel called my queue number, I was done filling out the form and had prepared my two (2) valid I.D.s which is TIN and Philhealth Cards.
- Once approved, I then proceed to the I.D. Capturing booth and leave the form to the SSS personnel desk who will get your biometics, photo I.D and signature. They will call your name so be patient. This step took most of the time. Once done, they will provide you a sheet of paper regarding the success of your application and will then instruct you to wait for a time period as to how long you should wait for your UMID ID to be delivered.
- I got mine within 30 days and was supposed to activate it at any branches or kiosks.
To be honest, I never though applying for a UMID ID will be this quick and easy. I am glad that the staff on the branch I went to were all friendly and accommodating. Do let me know if you have questions!
Keep updated by following me on my social media accounts: